Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Spaghetti Squash - How to Bake & Prepare It for a Recipe

Ever heard of it or even tried it?
It's actually pretty good!

It's a member of the winter squash family and is supposedly fairly easy to grow. 
We'll see! 
I may try to plant a few this year and see what happens.
It can be used in a variety of dishes but makes a great substitution for pasta. A low-carb version of pasta.

Here's how you can bake it.

Before cooking I always wash my veggies. I don't care what kind they are...you never know where they have been.
So wash the outside of the squash!
Cut the ends off of the squash. This can be a challenge if you aren't using a good knife so Be Careful!
Slice the squash lengthwise.
Remove the seeds and pulp from the center.
Place the squash, cut side down, on a greased cookie sheet. (as pictured above)
Take a sharp knife and pierce several holes in each squash half.
Place in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.
Remove and let cool a bit.
Now take a fork and pull from the outer edge of the squash to the center thus creating your "spaghetti".
You can use this immediately while it's still hot or you can store it in the fridge for later use which is what I did.
Tomorrow I'll show you the yummy dish I made with mine.



1 comment:

Carmen S. said...

you know I have never made that kind of squash?? May have to give it a try now that I know what to do with it, lol!