Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Got Leftover Ham?....Make Ham Loaf


I usually make a ham once or twice a year. We eat it for a day or two and then we are done with it...had enough! However, I still have more of it left so I use my Kitchen-Aid mixer and a grinding attachment and grind the rest of it up. I then place about a pound and a half of ham in a freezer bag and toss it in the freezer. Then one day down the road when I want a twist to my typical meatloaf I just grab a bag of the ham and make ham loaf.

HAM LOAF


1 1/2 pounds ground ham
1 pound ground beef
1 small onion, diced small
2 eggs
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
1 cup milk
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 tsp. Watkins Ground Beef or Meatloaf seasoning

**I sometimes use dried onion flakes instead of fresh and I usually don't purchase "special" seasonings like Watkins. However, I tried these two spices and love them. If you don't have them then just use whatever seasonings you would use in your meatloaf. **


In a large bowl, beat eggs with milk.
Add onions, ketchup, worcestershire, seasonings & crumbs.
Next add the beef and ham.
Mix good with hands and then shape into small individual meatloafs.
Place in greased pan & then take the side of your hand and make an indentation on the tops of the loaves.
(You will make a glaze to pour over these for the last 15 minutes of cooking time and it gives the glaze a spot to puddle.)
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes.

Then make the glaze and pour over the loaves and place back in the oven for another 15 minutes.


HAM GLAZE

1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. mustard
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tbsp. water



No comments: