Saturday, November 29, 2008

Red Velvet Cake


Red Velvet Cake
(Super Moist & Yummy!)

We had so many desserts to choose from this Thanksgiving. I made a few pumpkin pies and Pioneer Woman's Chocolate Pie plus her Apple Pie which you can find on her website http://thepioneerwoman.com/. My Dad also made homemade raisin bars but my personal favorite was this cake that my sister-in-law made.

I'm not a big fan of using much food coloring in my recipes but this was really good. Not sure how it would look if I left out the coloring but I may have to try next time.

RED VELVET CAKE

2 cups sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cocoa
3/4 cup oil
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 bottle red food coloring
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt & cocoa into a bowl.
Cream oil & sugar.
Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add food coloring & mix until well blended.
Combine buttermilk and baking soda & then add it to the oil-sugar mixture alternately with the dry ingredients.
Add vinegar & vanilla and mix well.
Spoon into two greased 9-inch round pans.
Bake for 20-30 minutes or until done. DO NOT OVERBAKE!
Ice with cream cheese icing & ENJOY!


Cream Cheese Icing

2 (8oz.) cream cheese
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup butter
2 pounds confectioner's sugar
Combine cream cheese, butter & vanilla. Beat until smooth.
Gradually add sugar while beating.
Sprinkle top with chopped nuts if desired.

No comments: