Friday, January 23, 2009

Something WAY different for us!!

Let me start by saying that we are definitely a meat & potato family. To top that off my husband thinks any vegetable other than potatoes or corn are meant to be rabbit food. I, on the other hand, do like vegetables but seem to stick to making the same old thing over and over again- corn, green beans and potatoes because that is what pleases him.
(Note: Have you ever realized that all my dinner plates look the same except for the main dish. Well now you know why!)
Anyways, the other night I made homemade egg rolls. Now, I have only had these a few times at a Chinese restuarant that my friend Mendy used to love to take me to when we were out shopping. They were always good as long as I was able to identify what I was eating inside them. So there is a benefit of making your own. You 100% know what you are eating.
Being my first time at making them I went easy with my ingredients. The next time I'll try to add some more ingredients and try my hand a making some sort of dipping sauce for them.
Oh and by the way I also made burritos in case the egg rolls weren't a big hit we would still have something edible to eat. As it turned out my husband liked the egg rolls better- cabbage, carrots and all...I guess men DO grow up a little bit as they age.

Here is my version that I BAKED instead of frying.
Photobucket
BAKED EGG ROLLS
1 roll breakfast sausage
1/2 of an onion, diced
7 oz. prepackaged coleslaw mix with carrots
2 cups shredded hashbrowns
1 pkg. egg roll wrappers
10-12 dashes of soy sauce (more or less to suit your taste)
melted butter
1. Cook sausage with onion till crumbly. Drain the grease.
2. Add the coleslaw mix & hashbrowns.
3. Let cook till cabbage starts to get soft.
4. Add soy sauce and let simmer a bit.
5. Place egg wrappers on flat surface.
6. Place about 2 tbsp. of filling about an inch from one corner.
7.Start to roll the wrapper around filling and then tuck sides in and continue rolling.
8. Dab a little of the melted butter onto the edge to help to seal it.
9. Place on a greased baking sheet.
10. When all rolls are assembled, brush melted butter over the tops & sides of them.
11. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20-30 minutes or till lightly browned.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Granny Sue said...

Wow. I can't believe you made these. I am impressed!