Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Oh So Soft Oatmeal Bread


I love oatmeal bread whether it's store bought or homemade because of it's soft texture and sweet flavor. It's a light bread instead of such a hard dense loaf as some wheat breads can be.
This recipe turned out perfect. Though the next time I make it I may try to add a bit of whole wheat flour to it and see how it turns out.
This along with the spread that I made this weekend was yummy!
(I'll share that recipe later!)


Homemade Oatmeal Bread


1 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp. salt
1/4 cup melted butter
3 tbsp. light molasses
1 cup boiling water
1 pkg. dry yeast
1 cup warm water
4 - 4 1/2 cups flour


In a large bowl, combine first 6 ingredients.
Add yeast, warm water and half of the flour.
Beat till smooth.
Add rest of flour and knead till smooth.
Put dough in a greased bowl.
Cover and let rise until doubled.
Punch dough down.
Cover and let rise another 15 minutes.
Shape into 2 loaves and place in bread pans.
Bake 35 minutes at 350°.
( I used my Kitchen-Aid mixer on this. The dough was a bit sticky but I just greased my hands and bowl well before working with it.)

4 comments:

Carmen S. said...

Oh YUM! So, when are you showing us your caramel apples, lol! I bet they look alot better than mine! I couldn't find the right color of paint and ended up mixing 2 colors:(

Steph said...

I just made your recipe for the frostys, yummy! I may have to give it to Lance through an IV. He can't seem to get enough! lol

Buttercup said...

I'm afraid to be alone in the house with a loaf of that bread. I don't trust myself. Looks absolutely delicious.

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site countrywhispers.blogspot.com
Is this possible?