Thursday, December 3, 2009

Homemade Light Table


I have talked a lot lately about the stitching projects that I have been working on for Christmas. Some of them are from the great doodlers here in blogland that so nicely share their talents with us all and a few that I have designed myself. Now don't get all excited because an artist I AM NOT!

However, it is fairly simple to create a quick doodle of something to stitch, especially if it's a bit prim because the more "imperfect" it looks, the better it is.

And trust me, mine are pretty imperfect.

I had a problem though when I drew my patterns.
I used heavy graph paper so that I could keep my words in a straight line.
Next step was to trace it out onto a plain sheet of paper and get it ready to put to the fabric. However, I couldn't even see my pencil marks.

So to save the day... I used scotch tape and taped the graph paper with my pattern on it to my back door where the sun was coming through. I then taped my clean sheet of paper, cut to the size that I wanted my stitchery to be and centered it over top and taped it down.

Problem solved!

I could easily see my pencil marks now that the sun was shining through.
No need for a fancy smancy light table.
Just use what you got!
Just be sure to pick a nice sunny day to do it on! :)





4 comments:

Deb said...

What a clever idea and very inexpensive :)

Carmen S. said...

What a creative and genius idea, and FREE to boot, gotta love that:)

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

What a clever idea!

Thanks for sharing that -- I can see a lot of uses for your "free and natural" light table substitute!

Leah said...

Great idea! Just so you know your giveaway package is being sent tomorrow -- sorry for the delay -- had some unplanned time consuming issues