Monday, April 26, 2010

Picnic Food ~ Potato Salad

Well another weekend has come and gone and it's back to the ol' grind again.
I cooked  a bit over the weekend but nothing too hard or fancy. Just some good old summertime picnic food.
Some I'll be sharing with you this week.
It's a gloomy, rainy day here in WV. It will be a nice day for catching up on indoor activities as well as making a big pot of soup for supper ~ Cheeseburger soup I believe.
*Did you hear that Mom?*  --  I'll be sure to save you some.

No big happenings over the weekend.
Just a little shopping, cooking and relaxing.
We did manage to get a bike ride in yesterday which was nice. The weather was perfect!
Oh, and my MIL's dog has come again to stay with us for a few months. When my MIL passed away last year she asked my BIL to take care of the dog. However, we kind of have a joint custody thing going on. They keep her but every so often they bring her up to stay with us for a few months. She seems happy in both places so it just works.
That's about all that is new or exciting (woo-hoo) here in my world. I'll leave you with the recipe for my potato salad and hope you have a cheerful MONDAY!

Potato Salad

8 lbs. potatoes, diced & boiled
4-5 hard boiled eggs
1/4 -1/2 cup finely diced onions
2 cups Miracle Whip
1 cup pickle relish
1 tbsp. prepared mustard
1/2 tsp. celery seed
2-3 tbsp. sugar
milk

In a small bowl, mix Miracle Whip, onion, relish, mustard & celery seed.
Gradually add sugar 1 tbsp. at a time, tasting between each addition. Use as much or as little as you prefer.
One you have all sauce ingredients combined then you can begin to thin it down a little. I pour a little milk in and then whisk it all together. Keep adding a little milk each time until you have the right consistency.
Pour sauce over diced potato and eggs and mix well.
You can add salt and pepper to taste too!
Refrigerate & enjoy!

8 comments:

Carmen S. said...

Sounds yummy! It sounds like you get pretty much the same weather we get, actually you aren't that far south of us! We got a big new road atlas for when we go to Georgia in Sept. although we have decided we will fly now instead of making the 16 hr. drive, UGH! But I was looking up all my bloggie friends and I didn't realize you are up that far north! Enjoy your rainy Monday and your *visitor* :)

Farmchick said...

It's just about Potato Salad season here in ND....I usually make up my first batch on Memorial Day. Come visit!

The Farmers Oldest Daughter said...

This sounds yummy. We went to a cookout this past Saturday evening and it was so good and so much fun, even though it rained on us.

Nancy M. said...

Joint custody of a dog! How cool!

Andora said...

I love potato salad..yours sounds yummy...and that is great that the dog is happy in both places..sometimes that doesn't work..glad it does for you all and the dog..take care...

Lona said...

Oh, I love potato salad. I just wish the rest of the family did. I hate to make it just for myself. I make mine almost exactly like yours all but the relish. Now that sounds like it would make it even better.I add very small diced carrot pieces to mine for color. Now what is this Cheeseburger soup?LOL! Sounds yummy.

Country Whispers said...

Hocking Hills... I wrote the ingredients and the exact measurements as I made this today so that I can share it with you all soon. It is so YUMMY!

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

WHY oh WHY didn't I blog-hop BEFORE dinner? Because I made a potato salad and let me tell you, it was bland. I wish I had seen your wonderful recipe!!! Next time!