Monday, June 21, 2010

Yardsale Finds & More Garden Pictures

I finally made it to some yardsales this weekend and here are a few of my finds. I love these cross-stitched pictures. I got each one for a buck. They will go perfect in my "log cabin" bedroom.

I couldn't pass up the little birdhouse thingy. I had my husband take the handle off of it and then I put it in the living room to hold the TV remotes and such. I grabbed the old milk bottle  to place some pretty posies in and that little pink thing is a letter opener advertisement for Fuller Brushes.
I also got a lot of books for the kids. One of the schools that our county has shut down was having a sale and I ended up with 2 large boxes of books for $2.00.
 Another thing was some kind of yard toy for the kids. I don't remember the name on the box but it reminds me of a tether ball. It's a long pole that you stick in the ground and it has a cord attatched with a tennis ball at the end. It comes with 2 paddles and you hit it round and round the pole. The kids as well as us adults are having fun playing it. Not bad for a $2.00 bargain. I'll have to snap a picture later of the kids playing it.

I've been watching the garden grow over the weekend...literally.
Yesterday morning we noticed an ear of corn growing on one of the stalks. By last night I recounted and found 4 more. Silly I know, but I get so excited when I see the garden expanding. Before I know it I will probably be up to my ears in corn and tomatoes.


  The peppers are starting to grow and I can't wait to make salsa and hot mustard.

I picked four zucchini last night and there are plenty more where they came from.

This morning I got up early (to beat the heat) and made a Zucchini Apple Cake. If it turns out good then I'll have to share the recipe. That's about it for my weekend. Swimming, shopping, yard sales, gardening and cooking out with the family to celerate Father's Day. Hope your weekend was just as pleasant.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zucchini Apple cake- Yum!
It is good to get a thrill watching your garden grow. Nice sense of accomplishment.
You got some great deals!

This week I am trying to post my thrifting by color.

Carmen S. said...

That's some great stuff you found and WOW on the books!!! Your garden is so far ahead of mine, my zucchini plants are about 6" across but no blossoms yet, I love batter fried zucchini with homemade garlic dipping sauce, OH YUM! Enjoy the day:)

Nancy M. said...

Great finds! I like the use you found for the birdhouse! Your garden is looking great, I am bad and have been neglecting mine.

Leah said...

I love garage sales, yard sales, second hand stores -- you found some neat things... Love the cross-stitch pictures.... Your garden looks wonderful!

Granny Sue said...

I want that recipe! Any new use for zucchini is always welome :)

I'm curious about your bedroom--is it really a log cabin? It looks like it in the pictures. The milk bottle and the cross-stitch pictures are my favorites of your finds. Imagine doing all that needlework and selling it for 1.00! Sometimes I buy things like that just because it seems so unappreciated. Like giving it a loving home :)

Country Whispers said...

Granny Sue..
I wish it were a log cabin!
It's actually wallpaper.
I figured since I couldn't have the real thing I could at least try to get the feel of an old log cabin.
It's my favorite spot in the house to steal away to.