Monday, November 9, 2009

Getting ready for Thanksgiving


This is what my kitchen looked like Saturday morning.

I got up and turned the Christmas music on to try to set the mood which is hard to do when the temps outside are reaching 70 degrees. *Not our typical weather for this time of year.*
I proceeded to tie my hair up, don my apron and dig in.
And boy did I dig in. I ended up spending pretty much the whole day in the kitchen with the exception of taking a bike ride with my Dad.
I began with pumpkins rolls then went on to pepperoni rolls and ended with a double batch of no-bake cookies. Needless to say my kitchen was a mess by the time it was all over but I saved that mess for the next day.
Thanks goodness the kitchen floor as well as the rest of the house are now nice and clean so we can devote our time to schooling.

I've already shared my recipe for pepperoni rolls so today I'll share the recipe that I use for pumpkin rolls. Now, I like to make these ahead of time and then freeze them till Thanksgiving. I just think they have more flavor the longer they set.

Before I start I will give you a few tips *from my own mistakes*.

#1. I use a 29 oz. can of pumpkin which will make a total of 5 pumpkin rolls. If you want to make all 5 then be sure you have enough of the rest of your ingredients to make all 5. *I had to make a last minute trip to the store :( *

#2. Create an assembly line process if possible. Have 2 cookie sheets ready so that you can bake one and while that is baking you can be preparing the second tray.

#3. Always wash the cookie sheet in between each baking and spray well with cooking spray so that they don't fall apart when removing from pans.


Pumpkin Rolls

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
Makes 1 pumpkin roll

Beat eggs on high for 3 minutes.
Add rest of ingredients and mix well.
Pour & spread onto a well greased 15X10 cookie sheet with sides.
Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.

While that is baking get a tea towel and lay it out flat.
Sprinkle the top of the towel with powdered sugar to prevent the cake from sticking to it.
When cake is cooked, remove it and flip the cake onto the towel. (Gently so that the baked cake doesn't break.)
Immediately roll the cake with the towel like a jelly roll and let cool completely. Here is mine all wrapped up in the towels cooling.

Photobucket

When cool you can unroll and spread with your cream cheese filling.

Photobucket

Reroll (without the towel) and refrigerate or freeze. I wrap mine in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil. When ready to use I just take mine from the freezer and let thaw in the refrigerator.


Cream Cheese Filling

8oz. cream cheese
3 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
Blend well and frost.
Filling for 1 pumpkin roll
Photobucket


Enjoy your day!

6 comments:

Sandra said...

I've been wanting to try one of these, and you just pushed me over the edge! I picked up another bag of chips and cream cheese to make more of your cream cheese squares. I'm going to send some to work with my daughter. Those things are SO good. I know this pumpkin roll will be too.

Carmen S. said...

YUM! My mom makes pumpkin rolls every year for Thanksgiving and they are so good! Glad you got the mess cleaned up, that part is never fun !

Kentucky Farm Girl said...

Hi Jessica! These are delicious. I make them every year around this time. I made one last week for the girls in the medical records department.

I also have a recipe for a banana nut roll made like this. I'll have to post it on my blog. It's delicious too. I can't decide which is my favorite.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

You do beat all for baking and cooking!!! I admire how you can make so many things from scratch, and feed your family so many good home-cooked things...

Jblover109Woozworld said...

What a great pumpkin roll recipe! I must make this for Thanksgiving!

Buttercup said...

The pumpkin rolls look great and so does your blog. Cheers and good wishes.