Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ranch Chicken Fried Steak

I made this the other evening for dinner and it was a nice change from my usual baked steak. A little different flavor and texture. I even got a compliment on it from my brother who HARDLY EVER gives me a thumbs up on my food. ( He just likes to give me a hard time though!)

Ranch Chicken Fried Steak


1 cup flour
1 cup italian seasoned bread crumbs
2 pkgs. Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
2 cups milk
1 egg
salt & pepper
3 lbs. round steak
32 oz. beef broth



1. In one bowl, mix flour, bread crumbs, 1 pkg. dressing mix & salt & pepper. Set aside.

2. In second bowl, whisk together milk, egg & second dressing packet. Set aside.

3. Cut & trim round steak.

4. Place 1/4 - 1/2" of olive oil in iron skillet & let it get hot.

5. Dredge meat in flour mix, then in milk mix and back into flour mixture again.

6.Place meat in hot skillet.

7. Brown one side & then the other.

8. When both sides are browned then remove steaks to a greased 9x13 pan.
(Place steaks in a single row. Don't stack on top of each other.)

9.Leave the pan uncovered and bake at 350 degrees.
(I cooked mine about 1 1/2 to 2 hours but I like mine well done and not MOOing at all! :)

10. While that is baking I added the beef broth to the drippings in my iron skillet.
I let this cook down a bit ( too much) so I had to add a little more water.
In the end I sprinkled in a little bit of flour and whisked away while it was hot & bubbly.
I didn't measure the flour at the time, but just start out lightly so that you don't over thicken it.
You can always add more later if it's not thick enough.

11. Let this cook a bit and add salt & pepper to taste.

I served this steak & gravy with mashed potatoes and green beans.






2 comments:

The Wife said...

ooooo, that looks good. I want it for breakfast this morning!

gtyyup said...

My Man is looking over my shoulder...he says I have to try it...soon!!! Looks really good. Thanks!!