Monday, March 9, 2009

Fried Zucchini & Feta Subs

We took advantage of the warm weather and cooked out this weekend. My Dad is vegetarian so he doesn't eat the usual hamburgers, hotdogs or steaks that we grill so this is what I made for him. This is a recipe that he came up with a while back. I like the different flavors all combined together on a big sub bun. I forgot to take a picture before he dug into this so I will have to add a picture the next time I make this. I also didn't measure everything so you will have to wing it. It's pretty simple though!

Fried Zucchini & Feta Subs
2 sub/hoagie buns
1 medium size zucchini
onions & peppers (I use mild banana peppers)
feta cheese
sour cream
cucumber
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
salt & pepper
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs (optional)
milk
olive oil
1. Saute onions & peppers and set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Wash, peel & dice about 1/4 of the cucumber. Dice small & mix with a little bit of the sour cream. This is going to be a sandwich spread to add to the sub.
4.Wash & peel zucchini.
5. Slice zucchini lengthwise about 1/4" thick.
6. Dip zucchini in milk and then into the flour mix.
7. Place zucchini in heated skillet with a little bit of olive oil.
8. Let brown on both sides till tender & golden.
9. Remove from skillet & place on paper towel lined plate to absorb any extra oil.
10. Slice hoagie bun lengthwise and place face down in same skillet that you fried the zucchini in. (Don't do this if you have a bunch of grease left in your pan. Wipe some of the excess out first.) Let the bun toast a bit and then remove.
11.Now it's time to assemble.
12. Spread some of the cucumber/sour cream mixture onto sub.
13. Layer with zucchini strips.
14. Add some sauteed onions and peppers.
15. Sprinkle Feta cheese over top & ENJOY!

3 comments:

Carmen S. said...

These sound really good, and healthy too! I love zucchini so I will have to try these. Some of my seeds in my jiffy boxes sprouted,the ones for cherry tomatoes! How exciting, but they look so very delicate...hope I don't kill them, LOL!

Granny Sue said...

This spinds so good. I love grilled zucchini.

Buttercup said...

This sounds great. Always on the lookout for good veggie recipes. Thanks!