Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Parmesan Cube Steak


Cube steak is not a cut of meat that I care much for, however, sometimes the price is right and it ends up in my freezer. When it does I try to find something different to do with it. My very favorite thing to make is Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich off of http://thepioneerwoman.com/ . If you haven't tried this before you really should. Go to her cooking tab and then look under Cowboy Food. Yum!
Yesterday, at the last minute, I pulled cube steak from the freezer and decided to make Parmesan Cube Steak, a broccoli casserole and I had run out of potatoes so I had to use a box of potatoes which were YUCK! Anyways here is the recipe for the cube steak.


Parmesan Cube Steak


This made 8 cube steaks. You can cut the measurements back if making less.

6 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3 eggs
3 tbsp. water
1/2 cup cracker meal ( or crushed crackers)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. dried basil
Olive Oil
8 cube steaks
2 (8oz.) cans tomato sauce
3 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
8 slices mozzarella cheese
A bit more Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In bowl, mix flour, salt & pepper. Set aside.
In another bowl, whisk eggs and water together & set aside.
In 3rd bowl, mix cracker meal, 1/2 cup Parmesan & basil.
Heat Olive oil in skillet.
Dredge cube steaks in flour mixture, dip in egg mix and then coat with the cracker meal mixture. Place in hot oil and brown on both sides.
Once browned, place in a greased baking dish in a single layer.
Bake in oven.
I baked mine for about an hour but I always cook mine longer than most people prefer so you will have to be the judge of the time.
While that is baking, mix the tomato sauce, sugar, oregano and garlic powder in a small bowl and then set aside.
After meat has cooked for the hour then I removed it from the oven and spooned the tomato sauce mix over top of each steak.
Next place a slice of mozzarella over the sauce and sprinkle with a few flakes of oregano and a bit more Parmesan.
Return to the oven and let the cheese melt.
Enjoy.


2 comments:

Carmen S. said...

That looks good, I would have never guessed that was cube steak! I made your sweet and hot chicken on sunday and we all liked it, I'll definatley be making it again! Have a great day!

Granny Sue said...

omg, now i'm hungry. That looks awesome.