Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Homemade Whole Wheat Rolls


My trip to Sugar Creek is what actually spurred me on to find a good whole wheat roll recipe. About a week before going on our trip I was thinking of all the little shops that we would browse through and of course the fantastic meal that we would have while we were there.

You know, the good home-cooked meal that always comes with white or wheat rolls.

I have made white rolls many times but have never tried my hands at wheat.

I was in search of a recipe that would produce a light-weight fluffy roll instead of a hard rock. I am only saying this because I think most things made with all wheat seem to turn out that way.... Hard & Dense.

So off to my cookbooks I went. I knew I wanted to use honey for a sweeter roll but just couldn't find the right recipe. So, I used ideas from several different recipes and came up with this.


**Does anyone know what the vinegar does? I have never used vinegar in bread but that was in one recipe that I saw so I thought I would try it.**


They turned out good, sweet and light-weight. I should have let them rise a bit longer before I baked them but they were still good, just not as big as what they could have been.

The best part was that everyone in my family, even the picky eaters, enjoyed them...even the big one that refuses to eat wheat bread of any kind.

I'll have to take a picture the next time I make them since I forgot to grab one after they came out of the oven. :(


Homemade Wheat Rolls


1 3/4 cups water
2 tsp. sugar
1 tbsp. yeast
2 tbsp. vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 tsp. Lecithin
2 tsp. salt
1 egg
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour


Place water, sugar & yeast in bowl and let it set till bubbly. (3-5 minutes)
Add vinegar, honey, oil, Lecithin, salt & egg.
Stir in whole wheat flour a cup at a time.
Add 2 1/2 cups of the white flour in the same manner.
Knead dough by hand or by mixer with a dough hook.
Add last cup of flour as you are kneading it.
Place dough in a greased bowl and cover.
Let rise till doubled.
Punch dough down and form into 2-inch dough balls.
Place in a greased pan, cover and let rise again.
Bake 350° for 15-20 minutes.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Carmen S. said...

That sounds alot healthier than alot of recipes I've seen and sounds good! My "homemade" rolls usually start with frozen bread dough, lol...sad, but true, and I actually learned that from my mother in law years ago:)

West Side of Straight said...

Oh this sounds so good! Am going to try this recipe. thanks, Have a great Day!

Jessica said...

Those rolls do sound good! I'm saving this recipe and maybe I'll get to try it sometime. :)

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Halloo m'dear. The vinegar reacts with the leavening agents and makes the dough nice and light. It's surprising that it doesn't leave a vinegary taste, but it doesn't!!!

Arlene said...

Fantastic recipe!!! Thank you!!

Farmchick said...

I am going to try these--I can't find a really good wheat roll either! Thanks! Stop over for a visit....:)