Monday, March 15, 2010

A Menu Plan, Stocking Up and Birthday Gifts

I've been reading lots of blogs that use monthly menu plans and thought that I would give it a try. I want to see if it will save me time and money by planning ahead. I began by asking everyone in the house for ideas on meals. Unfortunately, I didn't get much response from them so I was off to come up with my own ideas.
Photobucket
Next I sat down and made a grocery list of all the things I would need for those meals. Oh, I almost forgot to tell you that I made a seperate list of desserts and snacks that I could make throughout the month too! Who could forget those, right?
I checked my local grocery ads to see what specials were to be had and then off to the stores I went.
Aldi's * Sam's Club * Riesbecks * Kroger * Walmart
Why so many stores?
Well, if you are trying to save a little money then you go where the deals are !
In the end I had spent just a little under $500 for a month's worth of groceries. (Just a little over $100 per week.)
Photobucket
Now the fun part ~ unloading all this and putting it away.
I filled my cupboards and put the overflow in the pantry. That's the easy part!
The hard or shall I say not so fun part is repackaging all the meat into meal size portions.
There was a whole pork loin to be cut and divided into 4-5 meals.
Four huge packages of ground beef to divided. Hamburger patties to be made, meatloaf to be mixed up as well as meatballs to be formed.
Photobucket
By 10 o'clock that night I was exhausted but the job was finished. Now I could enjoy my birthday weekend.
And enjoy it I did.
No cooking and NO DISHES! A dream come true.
Sunday dinners are always spent at my parents house so as we all gathered we had cake and ice cream to celebrate my birthday. I received many great gifts from everyone ~ A Taste of Home Cookbook, 2 western romance novels, a gift card to Outback, an electric candle warmer, Chris Daughtry CD, Lady Antebellum CD and a John Deere T-shirt.

Photobucket
I couldn't have asked for anything better. Books to read, music to listen to and I love love love anything John Deere!



8 comments:

Carmen S. said...

Woo-hoo....looks like you had a great birthday!!!! That cookbook looks promising and I'm glad Glad you had a fun day, you DESERVE it :D

Mama Mess said...

Glad you had a great birthday! I'm also a stock up shopper and Aldi is my best friend! I planned my meals for the month for an entire year and I loved it. My family loved it as well and it really saved me time. When I started WW last July I stopped doing it, but I plan to begin again, it's just too nice to know what we are having each day ahead of time. There are also no......ohcarp! I didn't thaw anything for supper moments.....and not having those is priceless!

Unknown said...

Happy Belated Birthday...may your year be filled iwth many Blessings...

I agree dividing the meat is not a fun job but so well worth it in the long run...I'm still learning to divide it in even smaller batches since it is just my hubby and I...Have a great day..Lisa

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful family you have. I'm so glad you got to enjoy your day. I just LOVE Lady Antebellum! I really do need to get better with my grocery shopping.. I am a random shopper so when I go to make something there is always something I need to make it then I have to say "ohcarp" .. lol.. I love that Goodwife! Enjoy your day Jessica.

Big Hugs,
Stella

Sandra said...

I'm glad your birthday was a good one!! I do my shopping once a month and I love it. It is work, but then it's over for a month! I don't package my meat though. I just get it the size I need. I try to make sure everyone is home when it's time to unload everything. It makes it go a little faster. I am taking stuff out of the bags as the kids bring them in. One of them is putting the freezer stuff in the freezers outside. We always put one buggy full of the cold freezer stuff and unload that last into the van. This way when we get home that gets taken out first.

Nancy M. said...

Wow, you hit the jackpot with all those cool gifts!

Buttercup said...

So glad you had a great birthday. Cake, ice cream, family and books -- all the makings for happy memories. Wishing you a wonderful year.

Anita said...

Sounds like you had a lovely birthday with your family, great to hear. Kind regards, Anita.