Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Smoky Kielbasa Beans & Rice with Sweet Cornbread


I said that I was going to stay out of the kitchen but I just couldn't. The cool breezes blew through the windows all day yesterday making it feel more like a fall day than summertime.
When it's cool like this I always seem drawn to the kitchen. It makes me want to put a big pot of soup or stew on as well as turn the oven on and bake a sweet treat.


I only spent a little time in the kitchen though because once I got this dish started I put it in the crockpot to finish cooking and then I made a pan of cornbread and that was it. Oh, I almost forgot I made some lemon-lime Jell-o for dessert that I mixed with a little Cool Whip.
Pretty quick & easy meal with lots of flavor.

                    Smoky Kielbasa Beans & Rice

14 oz. kielbasa, sliced in 1/2" circles
12 oz. pkg. bacon, chopped into small pieces
1 onion, diced
2 mild banana peppers, diced
(could use green bell pepper)
15.5 oz. can pinto beans
2 - (15oz.) cans of kidney beans
14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes
3/4 cup rice
2 cups water
3/4 tsp. cajun seasoning
2 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. brown sugar

Fry bacon pieces and kielbasa together in a pan.
When meat is just about cooked add the peppers & onions and let cook till tender.
Remove from heat and drain grease off.
Once drained, place back on stove and add rest of ingredients.
Let heat through till warmed and then place in a greased crockpot.
Cook on high for 4-5 hours.

**This recipe does make a large amount so you may want to cut it down a bit. I would use the same amount of meat but use half of everything else.**



Sweet Cornbread

1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar ( I use  about 1/2 cup)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 cup flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil

Place dry ingredients in bowl & whisk together.
Add wet ingredients and mix well.
Pour into a greased 8x8 pan.
Bake 20-25 minutes at 450°.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Carmen S. said...

YUM, that sounds delicious and I too am enjoying the fall-like weather;)

Holly, the Old Western Gal said...

I love bean-based dishes.

Your recipe sounds better than the one I have been using. I'm going to try yours instead! The brown sugar sounds so good in it, along with the banana peppers!

Sandra said...

That dish sounds SO good! I too like to get in the kitchen when it feels cooler. I can't believe you are actually having cool breezes! We are still scorching here!