Thursday, February 3, 2011

Remelt ~ Rescent ~ Reuse

Melted Candle Tarts
Do you know how many of these things I have thrown away over the past few years?

Way too many!

I've never messed with candlemaking before but I thought I might as well try since I've got all this melted wax. It just needs re-scented and it would be good as new.

After talking to Carmen about the flashpoint of wax (the only thing that really concerned me) I decided to give it a try.
I melted small amounts of wax in my double boiler, which consisted of an old stock pot and a coffee can. I placed my candy thermometer on the side of my coffee can so I could carefully watch the temperature.
Once the wax was melted I added the scent and then poured the wax into these silicone ice cube trays that I found marked down at our local grocery store.
They worked perfect!
I'm not so sure that I care for the scent that I used in these ones and the color isn't that great.
There are tons of oils, scents & dyes out there to use so I'll just have to experiment until I find the *one* for me.
But now that I know that I CAN do this I will be able to save tons of money.
I'll just remelt, rescent and reuse.

Now I just gotta find the right smell!
Anyone care to share their favorite candle scent
or even their favorite place to buy candle making supplies?

Stay warm!

10 comments:

Carmen S. said...

Well look at you go girl, those look awesome! Are you addicted yet? LOL! One of my all time fav. scents is lemon pound cake from bittercreek, it is wonderful! Wish we lived closer, we could get into all kind of fun:)Next you'll be making soap! (I canceled my appt. and rescheduled for next wed. as they were calling for big snows.)

Patty Sumner said...

Well Jessica, that is something that I have always wanted to do. I have several Yankee candles that have lost their scent. I am going to have to get up enough nerve to try this. Thanks for posting, maybe I will try this too. BLessings!

Patty Sumner said...

Well Jessica, that is something that I have always wanted to do. I have several Yankee candles that have lost their scent. I am going to have to get up enough nerve to try this. Thanks for posting, maybe I will try this too. BLessings!

Angela said...

I really like the design that the ice mold made on them! It's cute! I've never made candle melts before. I think yours turned out cute!

Have a Great Day!
Angela

Ladybug said...

Great Tutorial .... TFS
Blessings
Trish....

Tammi said...

I have never used these to make candles before. Thanks for the tip. I like anything except vanilla.

Verde Farm said...

Jessica, that is pretty cool. I too have thrown away so many of those things I can’t tell you. Just wondering--if you melt them, do you no longer get any scent they may have had? I guess what I mean is-do they actually get to the point of having no scent? They look so cute. The ice trays worked well. Great idea! I want to try it. I have a couple of tart burners and those Yankee candle tarts are outrageous.
Happy Saturday,
Amy

Sandra said...

What a great idea. I know when I make soap my favorite scents are vanilla and lavender.

Aliene said...

You had a brainstorm, didn't you?
It worked. My favorite scents are vanilla and lavender, also.
I just might give it a try when I have time. You are so creative.

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Those lil' candle tarts look just perfect! What a great idea.