Thursday, July 21, 2011

Crockpot Cooking To Stay Cool ~Cranberry Chicken

Good Morning!
Hope you all are beating this heat and staying cool.
That picture above is what my cooking has consisted of for the past couple of days. It's just too hot to heat the kitchen up but we still gotta eat so I've opted for a few days of crockpot cooking.
Crockpot #1 has peeled red potatoes cooked in chicken broth. I cooked them on high all day, drained them and mashed them up with a bit of butter and milk.

Crockpot #2 was a Spicy Sweet Chicken recipe that I found and had been wanting to try. Everyone had their doubts when they found out the ingredients used in it but once it was cooked they all agreed it was yummy!

Crockpot Spicy Sweet Chicken

3 lbs. chicken breasts
1 tbsp. oil
16 oz. jellied cranberry sauce, divided
1/4 cup Spicy Catalina salad dressing
2 tbsp. dry onion soup mix
1 tbsp. cornstarch

In a skillet, heat oil and brown chicken on both sides.
Place chicken in the bottom of a greased crockpot.
In a large bowl, combine half of the cranberry sauce, all of the Catalina and onion soup mix.
Pour over chicken.
Cover and cook on Low 6 hours or High for 3 hours.
Stir cornstarch into the remaining cranberry sauce.
Add to crockpot and stir to mix it all up.
Turn slow cooker to High, cover and cook for another 45 minutes or until bubbly.
Enjoy!

Oh, before I go I gotta tell you this.
Bad Luck Stikes AGAIN!!
LUCK is just not on my side this year when it comes to appliances.
First my computer crashed and I had to buy a new one.
Next I think was my stove which turned into a 6 month nightmare followed by my refrigerator and then my dryer (which thankfully my Dad and son were able to fix). Well yesterday my deep freeze quit working. I went to get a popsicle out of it and quickly realized they were no longer frozen. Just a puddle of sticky goo!
Logan and I unloaded it and put what I could into my frig/freezer and the rest I had to pack up and take to Mom and Dad's freezer. Needless to say we'll be shopping soon for a new one and it won't be at SEARS. (If you're wondering why then read THIS.) 
Dare I say what else could go wrong??
I think the only other appliance that we have is the microwave and it's up there in age too so I better not.

Hope you all can find a cool spot until all this heat passes.

5 comments:

Carmen S. said...

That chicken sounds REALLY good, I'm gonna print it and add to my "Jessica" collection of recipes"D Wow you sure have been on a string of bad luck, look at it this way though, soon everything will be NEW;) Have a great day and stay cool!!!

Angela said...

That looks really good Jessica! You gonna make me have to go and buy a crock pot! I don't have one! lol

Stay Cool!
Angela

West Side of Straight said...

The recipe looks great. Gotta make it too. Were your appliances all bought the same year. If so, that's why everything wearing out at the same time. Life of new appliances isn't very long any more. Have a better end to your week. jo

Ladybug said...

Recipes sounds to good..have too
try this for sure..
Life of appliances now is only
3 to 5 years,appliance service
people tell you that.The Stove in
our other house was 28 years old
still working when we sold the
property.Keep cool/safe
Blessings
Trish-Ladybug

Barb said...

I think I'll be giving this one a try. It looks most delish. Thanks for posting.